MINDFULNESS and EMBODYING THE BREATH
Friday 6th – Sunday 8th October 2017
Bushveld weekend retreat
Facilitated by Nan Lutz, qualified Mindfulness Africa facilitator
It only takes a reminder to breathe,
a moment to be still,
and just like that,
something in me settles, softens,
makes space for imperfection.
The harsh voice of judgment drops to a whisper
and I remember again that life isn't a relay race;
that we will all cross the finish line;
that waking up to life is what we were born for.
As many times as I forget,
catch myself charging forward without even knowing where I'm going,
that many times I can make the choice to stop, to breathe, and be,
and walk slowly into the mystery.
– Danna Faulds
With a relaxed programme, this family-friendly retreat will allow you time to recover, to breathe, and be.
And ready to take on life’s many challenges.
In the morning, in the optional mindfulness sessions, Nan will guide you to connect with your breath through guided mindfulness meditation and mindful movement and relaxation practices - to create breathing spaces in your life, as well as practical breathing and muscle activation exercises. And you’ll learn the science behind it all.
You’ll learn to ground yourself through breath, creating this sense of being rooted and embodied and the tree planting ceremony and introduction to permaculture will continue to explore the miracle of breath.
All this allows tensions in body and mind to untangle themselves and your heart to respond tenderly to whatever comes to mind. It allows you to interrupt habitual patterns and behaviours and unlock the defensive patterns of the body. This takes the body out of threat mode (sympathetic response) into soothing mode (parasympathetic) and assists you in reducing stress.
Being in this beautiful natural environment makes it easier to learn to be mindful and pause, so that we can open to the possibility of new and creative ways of responding to our life, and to our wants and fears. It gives us time to breath – and choice in how we respond to life.
Afternoons will be spent relaxing, sleeping or walking to and swimming in the waterfall. Evenings will be spent around the camp fire, star-gaxing, marshmallows and perhaps reading the traditional Bosman stories from the area.
Weekend accommodation cost includes 2 nights accommodation, snacks and refreshments plus Introduction to Permaculture talk and Tree Planting)
|Accommodation, meals and snacks for 2 nights
| Twin/double en suite (for two)
| Twin/double shared bathroom (for two)
|Single shared bathroom
This is a family-friendly weekend retreat (Friday evening 6pm to Sunday lunchtime) and partners are welcome to attend and pay for accommodation only. Children under 10 years are eligible for half price accommodation, and less than 3 years are free.
Why Mindfulness and Embodying the Breath retreat?
Mindfulness is the buzz word in meditation circles and this retreat is designed to give you a broad and robust introduction to this powerful life-skill that can help you transform the way you live your life, or to help you deepen your practice. By training in Mindfulness, our relationship to our emotions begins to change – and this allows for other changes in our lives.
- Daily guided mindfulness, compassion and relaxation practices
- Mindful movement sessions, focussing on mindful breathing, stretching, walking, as well meditation posture instruction, tips and techniques
- Mindfulness Poems about breath, which you may wish to use as inspiration to jump-start your daily journaling. So bring your favourite notebook and pen (or buy in TRC shop)
- Camp fire and braai on Saturday night, with marshmallows and Herman Charles Bosman stories around the fire
- Tree planting ceremony in food forest, exploring the miracle of breath
- Introduction to permaculture and TRC’s Environmental project, Tikologo
- Unlimited supply of TRC’s pristine water in a re-useable bottle, which will assist you in starting a new habit of drinking sufficient water daily. (TRC’s water comes from the pristine Marico River, which is one of the last remaining clean water rivers in the country)
- Mindful nature walks
- Guided walk to the waterfall
- Guided mountain bike ride for beginners, on gravel roads
- Self-guided hiking trails
- Swimming at the waterfall or farm pool
- Star gazing
- Vegetarian food and fresh salads from the permaculture garden
Environment levy is optional. Please add R60 pp to your payment if you would like to support the environmental projects (TRC Tikologo).
For more info you can also check out: www.shenang.co.za
· 3 min YouTube movie that one of the retreatants made on the New Year retreat at TRC that I co facilitated with Rob Nairn Dec 2014/Jan 2015. It will give you some idea of the beautiful setting of TRC.
· what Belinda, my May 2015 Mindfulness Based Living Course participant, had to say on her blog http://www.makingmountains.co.za/2015/06/01/mindfulness-for-beginners/
And you can ‘like’ my Shenang facebook page to keep informed of Mindfulness info, courses and retreats https://www.facebook.com/Shenang108?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
Mindfulness Facilitator, Wellness Advisor & Massage Therapy.
Nan left the Corporate world after 20 years to pursue this new career and has been working with and practicing meditation under guidance of Rob Nairn (Founder of Mindfulness Africa & Mindfulness UK) for past 20 years. Nan has also completed numerous 10-day and one-month silent retreats with Rob and has been supporting him and co-facilitating numerous Mindfulness, Insight and Compassion retreats in both Joburg and TRC.